Thursday, October 25, 2007

Day 5

October 24, 2007

I wanted to write about the moment when your addictions no longer hide the truth from you. When your whole life breaks down. That's the moment when you have to somehow choose what your life is going to be about.
Chuck Palahniuk

I include this quote because it describes perfectly how I feel today. With my evenings now not occupied by drinking, I have had time to revisit some of my favorite authors, and I really found myself thinking about why it might be that so many truly creative minds turn to alcohol.

Role call, Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen Crane, Dylan Thomas, Theodore Roethke, Eugene O'Neil, Herman Melville, Hart Crane, F. Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner,Truman Capote, Jack London, not to mention Hemmingway and Steinbeck, and more recently William Styron and Hunter S. Thompson.

This list is the tip of the iceberg. I want to think about this list without rationalizing my own drinking, which is something I've done in the past and something nearly every alcoholic does at one point in their drinking career. Upward social comparison. Acknowledging that yes, I do drink a lot, but so does ( insert famous person) so really things are tough all over. Interestingly we also use the reverse point of logic and often think of some poor sap whose station in life is worse than ours. Such as, sure I drink a lot, but nowhere near what that pathetic, (insert worst drunk we know) does who lost his job, family, etc. etc. This kind of thinking is quicksand for the alcoholic and something I desperately want to confront and avoid.

All the same, I do want to understand why all these writers needed the bottle for inspiration. My guess is that creativity is the rope that helps us pull ourselves up from our own self-loathing. This is the case with me. I summon all of my creative powers in these moments because its the only way I escape the bondage of thinking about my own self-destructive behavior.

Anyway it helps to write some of these thoughts down. Four days with my own uninterrupted thoughts has left me feeling pensive, and I find that I am on the verge of discovering something. It is hopeful to think there might be something new on the horizon. Some new thoughts to replace the ones that have defeated me for so long. I am reminded of Camus' words "In the midst of winter, I finally found there was within me an invisible summer."

Still, even now, I know a part of me is lying. I want a drink and I want to go back to what is familiar. I fear change, while also desperately wanting something different. I am stuck. I believe in one day, and even one minute at a time as a concept but in the end these are cheap platitudes I can't quite get behind. Being like other alcoholics would make me ordinary, and that is the thing I fear the most. Joining a 12-step group would make me a loser, right? I of course know the absurdity of this statement, while also firmly believing it.

In psychology when a person comes to us for help, we are trained to ask ourselves, how is this person like all other people, how is the person like some other people, and how is this person like no other people. Why can't I apply this same idea to myself. Why can't I admit that I am like a great many other people, while also maintaining my own identity and creativity? Is this possible? The answer to this question may hold one of the keys to my sobriety. I have no answer yet, and so my struggle continues. John Donne tells us that "no man is an island" while Jean-Paul Sartre reminds us that "Hell is other people." In many ways they're both right. My journey continues.


5 comments:

Sherril said...

Dude. Where are you? I'm concerned. It's been 3 days since your last post.

Drinkers are interesting people. So are smokers. I quit smoking but I still go hang out with them because of that - they're more interesting. It's more difficult with drinkers. They get to a different level and if you're not with them it's hard to relate. You could still hang out with the smokers, though...

Joe said...

Sherril,
Thanks for your concern, it means a lot. I read your blog and can relate to what you were saying about pain, as one of the areas I specialize in is pain psychology.

I'll be posting again today, thanks again for asking.......

Sherril said...

So glad you're still around.

I go to a Pain Management support group facilitated by a male psychologist. I think I'm starting to make some headway in there. New neural pathways and all that...

thailandchani said...

When I first stopped drinking, I found it nearly impossible to stay away from my drinking buddies. In the final analysis, it was because they were far more interesting than mainstream people. Eventually, I was able to capture some of that in AA groups, finding interesting people who were trying to create lives without becoming Western Culture Drones.

To this day, I value those relationships. They are people who are trying to improve their lives by their own definition ~ not the culture's.

Joe said...

thailandchani

Thanks for your comments and I agree with what you said. Most people drift through life in their reptilian brains with no insight whatsoever. Drinkers often feel things much deeper, and yes, are often much more interesting. Thanks for sharing your story!!